Honduras Nov 1-9, 2024, Orthopedic Surgery Trip w/Dr. Doug Huene, SR1670
Hospitals Escuela and San Felipe are the two teaching hospitals for the University Nacional Autonoma de Honduras in the capital city, Tegucigalpa. Hospital Escuela, an 1800-bed teaching hospital, and its smaller partner, Hospital San Felipe, offer all medical and surgical specialties including residency training.
Team participants will work alongside Honduran surgeons, surgical residents, anesthesiologists, operating room nurses, and other hospital staff to partner with and offer training in surgical procedures that allow them to advance their skills and provide an increased level of care after the team departs. Teams often provide advanced equipment such as arthroscopy and laparoscopy, train the surgeons in appropriate use, then leave the equipment with the hospital, having taught the personnel "how to fish". There is ample opportunity for one-to-one "live out their faith" as they are observed moving about the hospital.
The team has an active prayer ministry within the hospital, often called "the Heart of the Team". Members of the prayer team make daily rounds visiting patients and their families throughout the hospital offering physical and spiritual hope through prayer and by providing small items for personal hygiene, Spanish Bibles, toys for children, and praying for particular needs.
Teams are made up of surgeons, operating room nurses and technicians, anesthesiologists, nurse anesthetists, pastors, and others who wish to use their skills in the O.R. and hospital to serve the less fortunate of Honduras. We also encourage residents, medical and pre-medical students to apply who are interested in exploring medical missions. Even non-medical personnel are needed to help with logistical support and to serve on the prayer team.
Come and serve with us as we join with the Lord in the work He is doing in Honduras. It may not always be comfortable, but you will be blessed.
For more information, you may contact the team leader, Dr. Douglas Huene, MD at [email protected]
Global Health Outreach
P.O. Box 7500 • Bristol TN 37621
|Application Fee (due upon applying/acceptance)
|Project fee (due two weeks prior to trip)
|Estimated Airfare (will be adjusted to actual airfare total and is due upon ticketing)
Waiver of Responsibility Form Required
Your application is not complete until this form is completed.
- IMPORTANT! The expiration date on your passport MUST be at least 6 months past the return date of your trip. Processing times for new passports and passport renewals is 3 - 4 months so be sure to start the process immediately after you have been approved for the trip if your passport expiration date does not meet the requirement.
- Foreign language skills are appreciated, but not required.
- Attending morning and evening team meetings, including devotions
- Serving in the capacity of position on team and/or at direction of the team leader
- Orthopedic Surgery Team
- Read "GHO Participant Manual" located under Forms.
- Begin Fundraising
- Submit all requested documents to GHO right away.
- Immunizations - www.cdc.gov/travel